Vegan 'Eggs' Benedict
Serves: 2-4Time: 30 minutes
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
- 6 pepper corns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 80g silken tofu
- 125g/4oz vegan margarine
- 1tsp turmeric
- 4tbsp white wine vinegar
- lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion
- ½ cup soya milk
- 1 block tofu (200g or 250g) crumbled
- 3 medium vine tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet English muffins
- 1 packet vegan bacon (eg Redwoods)
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce:
1. Put the vinegar in a small pan with the peppercorns and bay leaf. Reduce the vinegar over a high heat until there is only 1 tbsp left. Strain the peppercorns and the bay leaf from this reduction.
2. Put the silken tofu in a food processor with the vinegar reduction.
3. Gently melt the marg so the solids fall to the bottom of the saucepan.
4. Add the turmeric and turn the food processor on and slowly pour the marg on to the tofu with the motor still running. The sauce will start to thicken. When only the margarine solids are left, stop.
5. If the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little lemon juice. Set aside to cool.
1. Fry the onion and garlic on a low heat until soft.
2. Stir in the flour, followed by the soya milk.
3. Add the tofu, tomatoes, mustard and stir for 3 mins.
Muffins & Veggie Bacon:
1. Slice and toast two muffins and spread lightly with vegan margarine
2. Grill or fry 4 slices of vegan bacon according to packet instructions
Plate up two muffin halves on a plate, spoon on scrambled tofu, then top with vegan bacon and a dollop of hollandaise. Serve immediately.